Every year we hear stories from customers of other companies making false claims that can’t be substantiated, and intentionally misleading consumers to get that sale and last year this seemed to only be on the increase. When purchasing an external shading system you are spending thousands of pounds, so you want to make sure you purchase a quality product that’s fit for your purpose, correctly installed and from a legitimate company. To help assist you in this process we’ve provided below our top ten tips on what to check before making a purchase:
- Get the company to confirm what they have verbally advised you in writing and ensure they detail exactly what they are providing (both product and installation).
- Ensure the company shows you physical samples of the external shading system you will be receiving; product (hardware) & fabrics, so you know exactly what you will be getting should you progress (most companies suffice with showing leaflets and providing something different at installation).
- Check the company out on companies house to make sure they are bona fide. This will show as a minimum the length of time established and directors (many companies claim to have been around far longer than they actually have)
- Ask to see actual photographs of external blinds & awnings they have sold and installed. Many companies will use stock photos from their suppliers as they haven’t actually installed any.
- Check the company uses their own installers who have undergone manufacturer training. External blinds & awnings are highly specialised and technical products requiring a perfect installation by skilled technicians and using the right equipment. It is the norm in the industry to use sub-contractors who fit a whole multitude of products, are unskilled and paid per job – so want to fit as much as they can in one day to maximise earnings, therefore not giving your installation the attention to detail and expertise it needs.
- See if the company specialise in the field of external shading or are they offering a range of products covering a spectrum of industries. A company offering too many products will not have the knowledge and expertise to correctly specify the right external blind or awning for your application. With so many things to take into consideration a company focussed on external shading will be able to give you the right advice and ultimately provide the right solution for your application, requirements and budget.
- Do their products meet the appropriate European standards in terms of quality and safety. All external blinds and awnings have to be certified to EN13561 which as a minimum determines the minimum wind speed external shading systems must withstand.
- What length of guarantee is provided with their products and what does it actually cover. Many companies guarantees only cover labour to replace any parts for a short period of time and additionally charge a call out fee.
- Is the company adequately insured should something go wrong with the installation and your property is damaged in need of repair.
- And our final piece of advice is to always make a payment on credit card, as in the event of a company not delivering what you have ordered you are protected and can reclaim normally all of the monies paid upto that point.
At Caribbean Blinds we’re proud to be the only company in the UK solely dedicated to the field of external shading, providing sound, honest, expert advice on the right external shading system for your application, requirements and budget. For 30 years (established 1987) we have been providing superior products that deliver genuine benefits, made right here in the UK at our factory in Sudbury, Suffolk to exacting standards, all expertly installed by our own skilled technicians and backed with a fully comprehensive guarantee covering parts, labour and our workmanship.
If you would like to find out more about Caribbean Blinds and our products you can browse the comprehensive information found on this website or contact one of our friendly team on 0344 800 1947 who will be more than happy to assist with your enquiry.