This is a question we are frequently asked about our louvered roofs and we can see why most clients would, the Outdoor Living Pod™ is a large structure that is as essentially an outdoor room when combined with additional extras. It is an obvious concern to most clients and it is a wise one to have, in most cases you do not need to obtain permission as these non-permanent garden pergolas fall within the Permitted Development Rights, which allow you to make changes without requesting permission. However, in some circumstances PDR is restricted which will require you to seek advice, these circumstances include:
- Conservation Areas
- National Parks
- Area of Outstanding Beauty
- World Heritage Site
- Norfolk or Suffolk Broads
- Listed Buildings
PDR does have some provisions in place when it comes to the dimensions of an Outdoor Living Pod™, as listed below:
- The maximum depth allowed for a pergola that is abutting the rear of a detached property is 4m.
- The maximum depth allowed for a pergola that is abutting the rear of an adjoined property is 3m.
- If the pergola is abutting the home and sits within 2m of the property boundary then the maximum height of the structure can only go up to 3m.
- If a freestanding pergola sits within 2m of the property boundary then the maximum height of the structure can only go up to 2.5m.
- A pergola, along with other garden constructions, cannot take up more than 50% of the garden’s capacity.
If you are unsure you can always visit the governments planning portal and use the interactive tool to find out whether your project will require planning permission. It is always better to be safe than sorry so we advise you to always carry out your own research, talk to neighbours, contact your local planning authority (LPA) and make sure you are clear to install an Outdoor Living Pod™ in your garden.
If you would like to discuss this matter further then feel free to contact a knowledgeable member of our team on 0344 800 1947. If you would like to see the Outdoor Living Pods™ first hand then why not make a trip to our show site in Sudbury in Suffolk, we are open 9am to 5pm on Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4pm on Fridays.